Saturday, December 19, 2009

Cooking in grams

This afternoon Betty and I were making lemon bars.  We are having a small Christmas fellowship tonight on the base to which we will bring the bars. 

First problem:  how much butter?  My recipe called for 3/4 cup but the New Zeland butter only had oz. or gram measurements.  Solution:  Put 3 cups water in the blender, put the butter in a baggie (minus the air) and submerge in water.  It was exactly one cup of butter.  (Thank you Daddy!)

Second:  What is 350 degrees look like on a Farenheit dial?  (Thanks again Daddy for my chart)

Third:  The glaze called for softened butter, powdered sugar and lemon juice.  We got the butter out and Betty measured a tablespoon.  It was then that I noticed the little brown flake in the spoon of butter.  We both examined carfully and it turned out to be just a toast remnant, not an ant as originally thought.  I think we would have used it either way but it's just funny to see how cooking changes in PNG!

Sweating in the kitchen...

2 comments:

Mom said...

Sounds like you are having a nice break from the snow. I talked to Dot, Kelly and Joan in Connecticut today and they were not a part of the "big" blizzard that went up the New England coast. I'm doing OK. Is it Halloween or Christmas. . . I can't quite remember when I look in the mirror-Ha! I love you - Mom/G---I love the Christmas Tree.

Mom said...

Tracie, Since it's still December 20th in the USA, I want to wish you Happy Birthday one last time. . . Wow!