Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Travel Eve

It is 9:30 p.m. and all is well. The bags are in the car (except for Richard's which has yet to be packed) with little room to spare. The snow is falling and the plows are plowing. The girls are playing Wii tennis before they get in bed.

We just had a few moments of prayer time. It causes me to reflect on how blessed we really are. It is a privilege to serve God in Papua New Guinea once again. I can't believe we are actually going and if I think about it too long I start to get anxious. For the last few months PNG was something that was coming up...something in the future. Almost like it wasn't real. Even last week when I began the packing process, it just seemed like some event that may never come. But tonight, we are all feeling a little jittery.

So jittery in fact that Bonnie hard boiled 21 eggs. It was partially my fault as she was simply following my directions. Our tradition before we leave for a trip is to eat as much food out of the fridge the day before as we can. That usually means hard boiling eggs so we can make egg salad sandwiches for the next day of travel. I showed Bonnie how to do it and went about my laundry duty. I came back in later and told her to go ahead and do another round of eggs. Later, I came back to the kitchen and reminded her to do some more eggs. It wasn't until dinner that I realized that she had done 3 batches, not 2, making 21 hard boiled eggs. Needless to say, we had eggs for dinner with plenty left over for sandwiches tomorrow.

The roads look ugly and we are praying the storm will pass by morning. Our plane leaves DIA at 4:25 p.m. for LA. Then it is LA to Brisbane, Australia.

Thank you for all who are praying. I know it has kept me grounded over the last weeks but especially the last few days that have been so very full. We will write more soon!

1 comment:

Bill said...

The sun's out today and it warmed up to 20F in Denver...still I think you're heading in the right direction. I will continue to pray for God to use you all in amazing ways that only he can do. Oh well, at least you'll have hard boild eggs when you get home...they last longer cooked.